There’s nothing worse than getting a call the day before you are supposed to be handed the keys to your new home that closing has to be postponed. It’s fairly common for the closing date to change, mainly because of last minute things popping up or not being well prepared.
There are things you can do to make sure you’re prepared that can help to avoid postponing your closing date.
Does it Really Matter if my Closing Date is Postponed?
Yes it does! There are a variety of impacts a changed closing date could have.
- Do you have somewhere to live for a few more days? Your apartment lease could be expiring, you may have sold your previous home already, or you may have to get things out of storage.
- You would have already arranged for your utilities to begin at the new house. If you’re not living there yet, you won’t want to be paying for them there yet.
- If you’ve hired movers for your closing date, the impact could be that you have to cancel the movers and do it yourself, hoping that you can get a moving truck on short notice.
- Depending on your job, you may have arranged to take time off for the closing and moving process, which would now have to be delayed and re-scheduled.
What Can I do to Help Close on Time?
While you can’t change unforseen issues that the banks may have, you can make sure you do your part to keep your closing date on track.
- Pay close attention during the final walk-through to make sure all repairs were made, sellers items are all removed, and that there are no additional items that need addressing.
- Review everything that is needed by you at closing 24 hours prior. Check off each item and keep it all in one place.
- Get your cashier’s check for closing as soon as you are told the amount you need to bring. Don’t wait until you are on your way to your closing appointment, you never know if the bank will require something you don’t have with you.
- Stay in constant contact with your Realtor to make sure all is on track.
As a home buyer, the most exciting part about buying a new home is actually getting the keys to start the next chapter of your life. Help it go according to plan by doing your part and being prepared!
My name is Barbara Bottitta and I am a Realtor/Partner with Keller Williams Real Estate and team leader for the Barb Bottitta Team of Lehigh Valley Home Experts. Our team of professionals include a listing and closing specialist so that from the starting line to the dotted line you won’t find another agent or team that provides better service, works harder – or cares more – than my team. My husband, Lou, and I have lived in Lower Macungie for over 30 years; our grown children attended Emmaus High School and we feel fortunate that our grandson is growing up in the Lehigh Valley as well!
Contact me for your Lehigh Valley area questions and real estate needs, and like my Facebook Page for area events, home ownership tips, real estate market updates, tips for home buyers and sellers, and so much more!
There are many great Lehigh Valley area homes for sale. Click here to perform full home search, or if you’re thinking of selling your home, click here for a FREE Home Price Evaluation so you know what buyers will pay for your home in today’s market. You may also call me at (610) 398-8408 for a FREE home buying or selling consultation to answer any of your real estate questions.